Monday, November 22, 2010

Rebel without a cause

"I wish I was a punk rocker, with flowers in my hair."

As much as I loathe that song, those lyrics ring true. Rebellion is part of growing up, and our generation has nothing to rebel against. No cause to fight for.

Parents have become laid back and understanding, the music industry has turned politically driven music into a cash cow, consumerism has everyone content to sit at home and play with their gadgets (myself included, I write this very post from my favorite gadget (and it's American spellcheck is grinding my gears)).

Now I'm not saying I think we should all be out tipping cars and throwing molotovs, but having something to protest unites people better than having something to celebrate. And it makes life so much more interesting. You can live your life obedient and well behaved, but what stories are you going to tell your kids? Or your grandkids.

So with nothing to rise up and fight against we must take it upon ourselves to make a statement. Go out fuck shit up. Colour in the barcodes on all the food in IGA. Run a pirate flag up the flagpole at your uni. Go to work drunk. Paint your own lines in the nearest carpark.

As for me, I've found street art. Watch out for my stencils around town.








BlogPress for iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment