Saturday, March 6, 2010

Crimson and clover, over and over

Because of the overwhelming success of my Southbound blog (HA! I should be a comedian), I'm going to do another one about Soundwave.

To sum it up in one sentence: It was fucking hot.

Don't worry, I'll throw in some more details, I just wanted to get that out of the way otherwise half this post would be me bitching about the weather.

So, we got there at about 10 and the queue was already way long which was annoying. We lined up in the aforementioned heat and laughed at the emos/goths that insist on wearing all black winter clothes to an outdoor music festival on a 37 degree day. Getting in didn't take that long once they'd opened the gates but I still missed the start of You Me at Six's set because they started just after the gates opened. The rest of their set was awesome though and they played most of the songs I wanted to hear. Also, the stage they were on was under a big tent this year so we got shade which was awesome.

Shirtless bogan count: 0



After that we had a couple of hours to kill before the next band we wanted to see so we went exploring. The festival was set up all differently this year so I had to orientate myself. Rather annoying cause I couldn't walk around like I owned the place because I was just as lost as the newbies. We found the mister (any festival that doesn't have one of these isn't worth going to) and then bought Sombrero's :D Best purchase ever, unfortunately we both lost them later on. Also got free showbags full of stickers and free music downloads. Eventually we headed over to main stage to wait for Taking Back Sunday and get a good spot.

Shirtless bogan count: 2



We were early (quite a bit early actually) cause we wanted to get close to the stage so we watched the rest of The Creepshow's set. They were pretty awesome, a three-piece punk band with a female singer and a bass player that plays double-bass. When they finished and all their fans bailed we pushed forwards and ended up with a spot on the rail. Sunny Day Real Estate were on next on the stage next door and they provided some pleasant background music for our waiting. The singer has a really good voice. Several people complained about not being able to see past our giant sombrero's. We didn't care.

Shirtless bogan count: 2



When TBS were due to start the pushing started. Moshing's always good fun but not so much when your hip is being slammed into the fence. That coupled with the intense heat made it pretty deadly in there. We made it through the first song before we got security to lift us out and headed for a quiet spot off to the side. I feel like a bit of a hypocrite because I usually tease people who can't handle mosh pits but this was just ridiculous. TBS were good but seem to be losing their touch. Or maybe I'm just growing out of them, either way they weren't as good as when I saw them at Taste of Chaos back in 06. Left near the end of their set to go looking for precious precious water.

Shirtless bogan count: 3



After purchasing some good ol' overpriced soft drinks we sat in the tent by stage 3 and listened to the rest of Set Your Goals while looking through our showbags. I then braved the crowds at the merch tent to buy a t-shirt. I can't go to Soundwave without buying a Soundwave shirt. Then we sat in the stands and listened to Alexisonfire to kill time until Paramore started.

Shirtless bogan count: 6



Paramore. Were. Epic! So much fun to watch, Hayley Williams is awesome. Wish they'd played a longer set or done a sideshow. We were in the bloody sun again so it was way hot but we survived, stayed out of the thick crowds so we could breathe. Placebo were next up and were just as awesome as I thought they'd be. I went to their sideshow the next night which was even better but I wont go into that now. They played a good set but I was starving and needed to sit down for a while so we decided to leave and skip AFI so we could go get food. I did snap a photo of AFI's drum kit though cause it was awesome.

Shirtless bogan count: 7



The rest of the day was pretty slow. We just wondered around while AFI were playing then ended up sitting on the hill in the bar area to wait for Jimmy Eat World. Had to put up with heaps of shit music though, with a screamo band to the right and Jane's Addiction (absolute shite) in front. Heard bits of All Time Low though which was cool. Saw some bogans wrestling with each other (no homo), and then saw another bogan try and pick a fight with a complete stranger because the stranger yelled at him when he pushed him into a pole. Dickhead. Got bored after a while and went in search of alcohol but there was a very limited selection and it was all way overpriced so we settled for water. Then went to get a spot for Jimmy.

Shirtless bogan count: 12



Jimmy Eat World... Oh my God. So fucking good. They sound perfect live, played a really good setlist and we had a decent spot on the side. Definitely the highlight of my day. Was just so amazing to watch, I really hope they come back soon. After that there was just one more band to see but we had an hour to kill so we bought chupa chups and just sat for a while. We were both completely knackered so we decided to just watch half of the last band and then head home for a swim and a sleep. Organised a lift home and then went to see A Day to Remember.

Shitless bogan count: 13



The bastards before had started half an hour late so of course this meant ADTR had to start half an hour late even though they'd finished the set up and soundcheck. This meant that we only got to watch one song before our lift arrived. Was a good song though, and I didn't really mind since all I wanted to do at that point was pass out.



All in all it was wicked fun. Soundwave once again fails to disappoint and I'm already looking forward to next year. Once again there are more photos in my Facebook Album.

Shirtless bogan total: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment