Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Stay with me bright-eyes

I'm a sap. A complete and utter hopeless romantic to the point where I can actually feel my testicles shrivelling up. It's ridiculous, and ever so embarrassing, and that annoys me.

Why should I be embarrassed? I don't like that a guy who goes out of his way to show someone he loves them is labelled as "whipped" and cops shit from his friends (albeit mainly from his male friends). Why shouldn't he do everything he can to make his girl happy? You see it all the time in movies: over the top romantic characters like "Prince Charming" who are presented to us as the perfect boyfriend, yet in real life would be seen as a wuss.

Obviously this isn't the case all the time, not every romantic guy gets picked on. I've been lucky enough to avoid it so far, all my friends are just as "whipped" as I am. But it's still common enough that I see it as a problem. Peer pressure and personal image concerns force us to be 'cool' and unconcerned when it comes to love. Wouldn't want to lost any street cred right? It's a load of bollocks and the real pansies are the people to embarrassed to show or say how they feel.

But enough about that. I'm feeling sappy, it's the reason I decided to right this blog, and I want to rave about it. I have a very idealised view of love that comes from watching to many movies and reading to many books. I want it to be perfect and everlasting, which of course it isn't, but it's still the greatest of emotions and something I can't imagine living without. There's so many different forms of love; family love, platonic love, love for a song or place or object, love for particular emotions and feelings, love for life itself, love between two people. I'm sure you've already worked out which one is my favourite.

That connection with someone that's so deep and so strong it takes your breath away is what makes us human. When everything you do is just to kill time until you see them again. When all the decisions you make, consciously and subconsciously, are for their benefit not for yours. It's what makes life worth living.

The worst thing you can do is not tell someone how you feel because you're scared, or embarrassed. I'm a total coward and terrified of rejection, as well as ridiculously shy, and I count my self incredibly fortunate to be where I am because my fear could so easily have ruined things, and I could be in a completely different position right now. Call me a hypocrite, but tell people you love them! Don't just wait for something to happen.

That's all I've got today. Been a while since I've blogged, hopefully won't be so long again.

Your homework: Tell someone you love them (relative, friend, crush, hobo on the street, anyone). To be completed before my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment