Sunday, April 18, 2010

Futures

Was meant to post this the other day but never got around to it. Woops. Doesn't really matter but it means I now have 3 blogs to post so prepare for some spam.

I've made a new list of resolutions. It's got most of the old ones on but I've added a few more, and got rid of the silly "sub-resolutions" thing. What I want to talk about is one in particular which is now at the top of my list.

1. Stop worrying about the future and spend more time enjoying the present.

This is something I think everyone should be doing. By no means should you forget about the future completely, it's good to have a plan. But don't let it affect your enjoyment of the present.

See, I'm a worrier. I worry about everything, and I get very paranoid sometimes. But what brought on this sudden epiphany was I got all moody the other day and then realised just how stupid I was being.

I spent last weekend at Fairbridge Festival with Ash and some friends. During lunch on Saturday Ash and Julia were talking about her plans for next year after she finishes uni and how she wants to travel and work in other countries. The selfish prick in me didn't like this because I'll still be stuck at uni in Perth for another year. How disgusting is that? Instead of being excited for her and all the new experiences she could have, I was worried about me being stuck on my own.

That's not he only instance, it was just the catalyst for this post and the re-doing of my list. I spend a lot of time worrying about where my life is going, and in particular my relationship and how long-term it is. Hearing her talk about jet setting around the world next year made me feel like a have a time-limit, which is ridiculous. I shouldn't be worrying about what we're going to be doing in the future, I should be enjoying what we're doing now. I've made a promise to myself to do so.

Here's the rest of the list:

2. Get a better job
3. Exercise at least twice a week
4. Eat healthy food more often
5. Stop buying food (at uni etc) and take packed lunch instead
6. Try harder at uni
7. Stop swearing
8. Read more often
9. Draw more often
10. Take photos more often
11. Play guitar more often
12. Spend less time on the computer
13. Talk to Ash on the phone instead of MSN/Facebook
14. Write my goddamn story that’s been in my head since 2004
15. Get a tattoo

No comments:

Post a Comment